Head of Whaka (native canoe) - Auckland Libraries - Auckland Libraries Heritage Images Collection

Head of Whaka (native canoe)

Auckland Libraries

1865

Showing the tauihu (prow carving) of Te Toki a Tapiri, the last of the great Maori war canoes, built about 1836 for Te Waka Tarakau of Ngati Kahungunu, its name, the battle- axe of Tapiri, commemorates a famous ancestor of Tarakau, the canoe is in the Auckland War Memorial Museum. New Zealand

Share, Modify, Use commercially

Images